Beet it: 6 Awesome health benefits of beets!
Everybody knows Soupergirl’s Beet Gazpacho tastes amazing — but did you know just how good beets are for you? Here are 6 reasons why you should rock the beet this summer:
- Beets have anti-cancer properties. That deep red that makes our beet gazpacho so pretty to look at? Thank the cancer-fighting antioxidant betalain. One a host of phytonutrients found in beets, betalain hinders cell division and starves tumors.
- Beets are a great source of energy. Popular among the U.S. Olympic team, beet juice has been repeatedly proven to improve stamina. In one study, athletes who drank beet juice prior to exercise were able to exercise for up to 16 percent longer. We’re confident this also applies to beet gazpacho! Are you reading this, Bryce Harper??
- Beets fight inflammation. They are a powerful source of betaine, which protects your cells from environmental stress — betaine also heals your internal organs and boosts the immune system. Sore joints giving you pain? Souperfood to the rescue!
- They’re brain food. Proven to increase blood flow to the brain, beets are a powerful tool to prevent dementia. In one study, older adults who ate beets showed greater activity in the white matter region of their brains, the area responsible for cognitive health as we age.
- Beets lower blood pressure. High blood pressure is no match for beets’ naturally occurring nitrates, which your body converts into nitric oxide that dilates blood vessels, improves blood flow, and boosts the delivery of oxygen to your heart — a long, fancy way of saying they’re heart-healthy!
- They’re an aphrodisiac. Naturally abundant resveratrol and boron are nature’s saucy way of telling you to eat more beets — and to chug Soupergirl beet gazpacho, of course!