The Comeback of Ancient Grains
They may be ancient, but they sure are hip: ancient grains are higher in protein, fiber, and minerals than modern wheat. Here are some of our favorites:
- Quinoa. The trendiest of the ancients, quinoa is the cool grain that just moved from the Andes Mountains to a small town of processed wheat that doesn’t allow dancing. But quinoa wants to dance. And OH how it dances! Loaded with protein, fiber, and flavinoids, this is a fantastic grain to cut loose to.
- Farro. (Sung to the tune of “Tomorrow” from Annie) Just thinking about/that farro, clears away the processed wheat and carb-os/til there’s none! Similar in texture to barley, farro is a super healthy way to pack in protein and energy.
- Chia. The seed, not the pet. We do not recommend eating Chia Pets. The gelatinous exterior clings to your cell walls and cleanses the body. Try submerging in water for a cheap, easy way to upgrade your daily nutrition!
- Freekeh. Get freaky with freekeh!! (You saw that one coming, didn’t you?). Low in fat and packed with calcium, iron, and zinc, this grain is right up there with the best of them.
- Amaranth. A total hipster grain, Amaranth was providing tons of protein and magnesium before it was cool. Dressed in skinny jeans and box-framed glasses and sporting high amounts of the amino acid lysine, Amaranth is a great choice for those who find most forms of wheat too mainstream.