Every day, science is drawing more and more connections between the foods we eat and the effects they have on our brains. Here’s a list of some foods that are really, really good for the brain — and which Soupergirl soups you can find them in!
- Bring on the beans. All beans are magic beans. They stabilize blood glucose levels and provide a steady stream of energy to the brain.
Found in these Soupergirl soups: Zucchini Red Lentil, Tuscan White Bean, Brazilian Black Bean, White Bean Mushroom Kale, Roasted Corn & Bean, Creole Rice & Bean.
- Sprinkle that sage. Sage — even its name is full of wisdom! Since 1597, sage has been thought to have beneficial effects on memory, and the research confirms it today.
Found in these Soupergirl soups: Zucchini Red Lentil, Summer Minestrone, Corn Chowder.
- Tack on tomatoes. Tomatoes contain lycopene, a souper antioxidant that protects against damage from free radicals caused during dementia.
Found in these Soupergirl soups: Tomato Gazpacho, Tomato Basil, Creamy Tomato, Roasted Tomato, Old Fashioned Tomato & Rice, Summer Vegetable.
- Bet on beets. The nitric oxides in beets boost blood flow to the brain. Brilliant!
Found in these Soupergirl soups: Beet Gazpacho, Creamy Beet.
- Whole lot of whole grains. Whole grains promote good cardiovascular health, which in turn benefits the brain. And many contain Vitamin E and Omega-3’s. Let’s break bread!
Found in these Soupergirl soups: Italian Barley & Greens, Moroccan Style Harira, Asian Soba Noodle, Mushroom Barley, Quinoa Vegetable Basil, Old Fashioned Tomato & Rice.
Everybody knows Soupergirl’s Beet Gazpacho tastes amazing — but did you know just how good beets are for you? Here are 6 reasons why you should rock the beet this summer:
- Beets have anti-cancer properties. That deep red that makes our beet gazpacho so pretty to look at? Thank the cancer-fighting antioxidant betalain. One a host of phytonutrients found in beets, betalain hinders cell division and starves tumors.
- Beets are a great source of energy. Popular among the U.S. Olympic team, beet juice has been repeatedly proven to improve stamina. In one study, athletes who drank beet juice prior to exercise were able to exercise for up to 16 percent longer. We’re confident this also applies to beet gazpacho! Are you reading this, Bryce Harper??
- Beets fight inflammation. They are a powerful source of betaine, which protects your cells from environmental stress — betaine also heals your internal organs and boosts the immune system. Sore joints giving you pain? Souperfood to the rescue!
- They’re brain food. Proven to increase blood flow to the brain, beets are a powerful tool to prevent dementia. In one study, older adults who ate beets showed greater activity in the white matter region of their brains, the area responsible for cognitive health as we age.
- Beets lower blood pressure. High blood pressure is no match for beets’ naturally occurring nitrates, which your body converts into nitric oxide that dilates blood vessels, improves blood flow, and boosts the delivery of oxygen to your heart — a long, fancy way of saying they’re heart-healthy!
- They’re an aphrodisiac. Naturally abundant resveratrol and boron are nature’s saucy way of telling you to eat more beets — and to chug Soupergirl beet gazpacho, of course!