As we get deeper into fall, I feel like our lives get busier and we often end up slipping out of our healthy eating plans. The lazy days of summer are over, and we’re back into work and school mode. I find that the first thing that can slip is our lunch plan. While there are many new and healthier lunch places around these days, the truth is that eating lunch out can be a very unhealthy decision. Often the portion sizes are way too large and even salads and bowls can have a lot of added salt and fat. The best way to stay healthy during lunch is to pack your own. Here are a few suggestions to make that easier:
– Embrace leftovers – Whenever you cook dinner, put aside a bit extra. Package it up in single serving containers so you have lunch ready to grab in the refrigerator.
– Cook a big batch of something delicious on the weekend – Stews, casseroles, grain salads – these all last for days in the refrigerator. Cook two big batches of something fun, portion them out, and switch your lunch back and forth between the two items.
– Have back ups on hand. Always have chopped vegetables, hummus, nuts, fruit, grains, and greens on hand so you can throw together something last minute. Have fun and toss everything in a mason jar, shake it up, and have a delicious salad!
– Make it fun – Make your lunch more enticing than the anything you can purchase at the lunch places nearby. If you have something delicious waiting for you in the fridge, you are far more likely to eat that then go out to a restaurant.
– Focus on the benefits – Prioritize packing your lunch! You are making an excellent choice for your health and for your wallet. You’ll probably spend less than half on your homemade lunch than you would on something you can purchase.
Even if you pack a lunch only 2-3 days a week, you can make a major difference – financially and healthfully. Start small, form new habits, and start seeing the change!
*NOTE – Soupermom is not a licensed dietitian, doctor, personal trainer, or anything like that. She’s just extremely knowledgeable about healthy living!! But if you slip and fall while taking her advice, it is not her fault!